<body> eat local challenge: Eat your peaches <body>

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Eat your peaches

Maybe I'm just feeling a little denied as of late, but today as I was purusing the local options at the Market, it dawned on me that one of the things I've really missed so far this summer is peaches. I know Champlain Valley Orchards just started producing peaches, so they are available locally, but I feel sad and disheartened that I have yet to have a peach (local or not), and it's already the end of August. Whose fault is this? Mine, of course. I guess I should have gone down to the Valley and gotten some peaches already. But I didn't, and now I wish I lived in California, where the fruit just falls off the trees and into your hands.

On a better note, I agree with Mandy's sentiment about wanting to stay away from processed sugar as much as possible, even when the challenge is over. One thing I've learned over the month is that maple syrup and honey are excellent substitutes, and many things already employ them as sweeteners, so all you have to do is look. Yeah, informed consumers!
~p

3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous mandy said...

Peaches, ah, yes. We had some, and now that we are in Chicago, we are having some more - big, juicy organic local peaches from the farmers' market. Chicago's other great local produce to sample - juicy "missy" apples (yum), corn, beets, onions, flowers, etc. etc. Chicago soy dairy has soy milk from Illinois beans. I wonder how people work the challenge here, and I think I'll ask around. Illinois is a big state with a lot of good food, but Michigan and Wisconsin are close, and their food is good, too. Yes, another reason to consider foodsheds...
We are off to the Lula Cafe for a slow foods breakfast.
Peace - Mandy

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Local peaches in the Co-op right now.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should that ring a distant bell?
buy hydrocodone online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home