<body> eat local challenge: starting the day off local <body>

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

starting the day off local

I had a delicious all-local breakfast this morning...honey-sweetened granola from the fabulous granola-making party last night, with some blueberries and milk. I think I will continue this granola production long after August!

Here is our basic recipe in case anyone missed the party or was outside watching the thunderstorm:

2 1/2-3 cups oats
1/2 cup sweetener (honey or maple syrup)
1/2 cup lipids (olive oil or butter)
roughly 2 tablespoons of mashed blueberries
optional vanilla or almond extract (for the Marco Polo exception people)

Mix the sweetener and lipids together first, then combine with other ingredients. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 30-45 minutes, stirring once or twice, at 300 degrees.

The maple/butter option turned out the best, in my opinion. Good luck!

4 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous mandy said...

Yay! I am crunching on the granola right now, and it's delicious, less sweet than Greg's version and a little salty. I added some toasted wheat germ for extra nutty flavor and some milk and blueberries.
Thanks so much to Allaire, Meghan and Stacy for doing all the work last night. Next time I'll force myself into rotation, I promise.
Peace,
Mandy

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued! How does one procure the oats?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger localvores said...

meghan has the big bag of oats. ask her for some, i think there is plenty left. -greg

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first visit to the blog and oh my...this just may be what i need...i too have been craving some sweetness and those morning smoothies only stimulate the tooth so much. does one have advice where i could purchase some oats?
email: ldonnellon@ci.burlington.vt.us

 

Post a Comment

<< Home